A home security system is a vital component for a safe household, but choosing the right one can prove challenging (and daunting). The essential concern is how to best protect yourself, your family, and your property from intrusion, burglary, and potential harm.
Although the system should be budget-friendly, it’s important to avoid investing in the cheapest setup you can find. Remember the old adage “you get what you pay for”? Cheap security systems are generally of poorer quality and will often perform as such. A moderately-priced option, however, should give you plenty of features at a reasonable price point. That’s where both SimpliSafe and abode come in.
All home security systems are unique, and there’s really no one-size-fits-all option. So let’s dive in and take a look at these two industry leaders to find out which one is right for you.
abode All-In-One Gateway Packaging
FYI: Of the two systems that we are comparing today, one employs smart home technology, and one doesn’t. Can you guess which is which?
Similarities Between SimpliSafe and abode
Security systems generally resemble one another as far as capabilities go — because some things are obviously a must when protecting a home — and this rings true for both SimpliSafe and abode. Each package offers the same base components you will need to feel safe and secure in your home.
SimpliSafe and abode similarities include:
- Motion Detector: Both SimpliSafe and abode provide motion detectors that alert you when someone (or something) is approaching your home. The detector senses energy released as heat from either animals or humans and, if close enough to the sensor, they can trigger lights, activate a camera, or generate a loud alarm.
- Indoor Camera: Both SimpliSafe and abode have an indoor camera for sale. With an indoor security camera, you can keep an eye on your little ones while they’re distance learning, and you’ll enjoy a little more peace of mind while you’re on vacation. We’re partial to the SimpliSafe SimpliCam.
SimpliCam on Ledge
- Window and Door Sensors: SimpliSafe and abode each assure homeowners’ safety by applying window and door sensors that sound the alarm should any unwelcome guests attempt to enter. You will feel more at ease knowing that if a criminal makes it to your threshold, they won’t make it inside (cue doggo).
- Loud Siren: A loud siren will likely startle anyone wandering onto your property (including the neighbors). Both SimpliSafe and abode include this feature as part of the package. Not only will a siren deter would-be criminals, but it will also ensure that everyone in the community knows that your home is protected.
- Key FOB: SimpliSafe and abode offer homeowners a key FOB (Frequency Operated Button) that has password protection. These devices allow you to arm and disarm the system remotely. If the system triggers, a representative will phone you to verify everything is clear. If there is any suspicious activity, the police will dispatch immediately.
abode Key Fob
- DIY Setup: Both systems offer ultra-easy DIY installation. While testing SimpliSafe, it only took us 20 minutes to get up-and-running. Abode takes slightly longer to install. There’s no drilling or wiring required with either system.
With a robust system that includes all these basic features, SimpliSafe and abode each ensure that you have the necessary equipment to protect your family, pets, and property.
Once you finish the easy DIY installation, you are far from alone! Both SimpliSafe and abode have exceptional support services and extensive online resources at the ready for any inquiries or assistance you may need. Plus, there are apps for both Android and iPhone for easy access.
Did You Know: SimpliSafe focuses its home security efforts on protection and safety. abode does as well, but they add home automation capabilities into the mix.
Differences Between SimpliSafe and abode
While SimpliSafe and abode each sell excellent base packages for their security systems, it’s important to note that key differences between the two exist, allowing each to better fit specific homeowner needs.
SimpliSafe and abode differences include:
- Smart Home Features: SimpliSafe primarily concentrates on home security, but abode goes one step further with its home automation capabilities, allowing you to turn your house into a smart home. Abode’s iota base station has a built-in CUE home automation platform. The company is also advancing its digital arm with Z-Wave and Zigbee smart home devices. Unfortunately, SimpliSafe does not support this technology.
- Payment Plans: SimpliSafe allows customers to choose between two monthly monitoring plans, with both offering a 24/7 option. Abode is a bit more flexible as it offers a basic package, free of charge, that you can monitor on your own. You can also opt for professional, on-demand monitoring on either a three- or seven-day schedule.
- Return Policy: SimpliSafe will let you return the system up to 60 days from the time of purchase with a 100% money-back guarantee, while abode only offers a money-back guarantee if returned within 30 days.
FYI: Check out our full review of SimpliSafe to learn more about our hands-on experience with their systems. We think you’ll like what you find.
SimpliSafe vs. abode Features
Keep in mind that SimpliSafe and abode are viable options when shopping for a comprehensive home security system. The basic packages are comparable, but there are critical differences between the two to better fit individual needs.
Ultimately, homeowners can choose the system that’s right for them. If technology is a must-have, abode is the obvious solution, whereas SimpliSafe is an excellent choice for someone interested in home protection without a digital twist.
Did You Know: For those interested in smart-home technology, abode is the company providing both home security and home automation services. SimpliSafe offers a full home security system, but without the digital features of a smart home.
One neat feature to note is that both brands offer a mobile app for remote arming and disarming. Mobile apps let you turn your SimpliSafe or abode system on or off — no matter where you are in the world. Abode and SimpliSafe each offer iTunes and Google Play for an added bonus.
These brands each have a pretty solid environmental protection option that detects frozen water pipes or leaks. Emergencies like these damage homes every year, and sadly, insurance does not always cover the damage (ouch). SimpliSafe and abode allow you to prevent such disasters, protecting both your home and your bank account.
Lastly, you can also measure your home’s temperature and humidity level which can help prevent mold and mildew growth.
Contracts With SimpliSafe and abode
An important detail to take note of when researching security systems is finding out the term of the contract. You might find that it’s more budget-friendly to opt for a yearly contract, but it’s imperative that you realize you are legally committing to the security company for the extent of that term. A flexible plan gives you the power to cancel whenever you choose.
Neither abode nor SimpliSafe require monthly monitoring contracts. With either company, you have the choice of canceling your monitoring service as you see fit. We really like the flexibility here.
FYI: To learn more about what it’s like using abode on a day-to-day basis, we recommend reading our full abode review. In it we share all about the features and tech and what to expect with this popular DIY system.
Pricing for abode vs. SimpliSafe
Abode’s equipment starts at $199. It comes with the option to create as many as 100 home automation features and connect up to 160 devices with unlimited user accounts. You can add professional monitoring at 3 or 7 days per week: three days costs $8 per month and seven days is $15 per month.
Abode’s Connect + Secure option is a plan that costs $200 per year or $20 per month. Bonus features include 24/7 professional services with cellular backup, media storage for 90 days, and customer support via telephone. To dive deeper into abodes offerings, check out our guide to abode’s pricing, packages, and plans.
FYI: abode offers a free self-monitoring plan inclusive of home automation setup for unlimited users, while SimpliSafe offers 24/7 affordable professional monitoring.
SimpliSafe Base Station at Night
SimpliSafe’s systems start at approximately $188. The most wallet-friendly monitoring plan starts at $14.99 per month and includes professional 24/7 alarm monitoring and cellular backup.
SimpliSafe’s most comprehensive (and most expensive) package includes both email and SMS messenger, remote monitoring, and a secret alert known as the Interactive Plan. It costs $24.99 each month. Here’s a closer look at SimpliSafe’s plans and pricing.
Abode vs. SimpliSafe Equipment, Installation, and Emergency Connections
Once again, abode’s focus is on technology. Its equipment is also transferrable to another company for monitoring, if you so choose, because of its compatibility with ZigBee Pro and Z-Wave devices.
Unfortunately, SimpliSafe equipment is proprietary, meaning it is not compatible with other providers and only works with the company’s service.
Did You Know: Because of its technology, you can transfer abode’s equipment to other companies for monitoring, while SimpliSafe is proprietary and can only work with its monitoring service.
Both abode and SimpliSafe have easy installation. You can DIY with the easy-to-follow instructions included in the box, and best of all, it only takes 20-30 minutes to set up.
abode Equipment in Packaging
Note that there’s also convenient online support and other extensive resources you can contact for assistance should you encounter any difficulties. An online forum with SimpliSafe is available for questions concerning the services or any features.
You’ll like that abode and SimpliSafe each provide top-notch emergency backup connections. Additionally, SimpliSafe has a “SmashSafe” control panel which triggers the system to alarm if a criminal tampers with your system. Its cellular connection is backed up with a Wi-Fi emergency connection, while abode uses wireless technology with optimum security to establish its connection.
SimpliSafe vs abode, Which is Best?
SimpliSafe and abode each offer outstanding security monitoring systems for homeowners. Both packages are affordable and the basic plans are (for the most part) comparable.
One major difference comes in the form of technology. Some people are into digitizing their abode into the home of the future; if that’s the case, and automation better suits your needs, we recommend going with abode. The company also offers the opportunity to self-monitor at your discretion or limit the number of days you monitor.
SimpliSafe Yard Sign
For people who prefer a system geared toward just simplified home security, SimpliSafe will be your go-to. SimpliSafe is quite affordable, the equipment is sleek and modern in design, and it couldn’t be easier to set up and use.
That said, the end goal is to find the right system that will keep you and your family safe and sound. Both SimpliSafe and abode make the grade in unique ways. But hopefully this in-depth look at both systems will help you to decide which is right for you.